Lexington County Master Gardener Volunteers
Sam Cheatham Student Scholarship
This scholarship was established to honor Sam Cheatham, Clemson Extension Agent for Lexington County and coordinator of our master gardener volunteer program for 18 years. Sam is a Clemson University graduate with degrees in Zoology (1972) and Master of Agriculture in Ornamental Horticulture (1978). His career with Cooperative Extension began in Greenville, SC in 1973. From 1978 until 1982, he worked at various times in Richland, Lexington, and Kershaw counties. He came home to Lexington County in 1985 and served as county agent until his retirement in 2003. In addition to his responsibilities as county agent, Sam coordinated the master gardener volunteer program, appeared on the television show “Making it Grow”, hosted radio shows on WSCQ and WISW radio for 8 ½ years, and coordinated extension programs in commercial horticulture. Sam remains active in the Master Gardener program. He contributes to gardening education and beautification in the Lexington community.
The scholarship will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Residency – candidates must be a resident of South Carolina. First consideration will be given to those from Lexington County.
- Academic record
- Field of Study – applicants must be pursing a degree in Horticulture or a closely related field.
- Applicants can be high school graduates who have been accepted by an institution of higher learning and undergraduates or graduate students currently enrolled.
- The scholarship will be paid directly to the student.
- The scholarship will be awarded for two consecutive semesters at no less than $1,000 per semester. Following a review of the student’s academic standing after the first semester, the remainder of the scholarship may be awarded.
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates should complete and sign the attached scholarship application form. Include all requested attachments. Applications with missing information or attachments cannot be considered.
- High School applicants should return the completed package to the high school guidance office no later than May 1st of the year applying.
- Submit the completed package to the address below no later than May 15th of the year applying.
LCMGV Scholarship Committee
Attention: Jackie Corley
Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service
605 West Main St., Suite 109
Lexington, SC 29072